Today is June 21st 2018 the official start of the summer, are you planning on going on a research trip? I think there is nothing like going to a repository and finding records or visiting a cemetery and being able to see and touch your ancestor’s headstone or interviewing an older relative. Below are some of my tips to help you prepare for your summer research trip.
- Have a plan (what are you looking for or want to accomplish on your trip?)
- Where do you need to go? (find out where the records are kept and the hours of operation, where the cemeteries are located, and your relatives addresses)
- Bring supplies (some items I suggest you take)
- copies of forms and charts (download free forms via familytreemagazine.com)
- camera (your phone will do the job if you have space ;))
- pens and pencils
- voice recorder
- comfortable footwear
- boots or long pants ( for the cemeteries or visiting unkept areas)
- change/small bills (for meters and or photocopies)
- a laptop or tablet
- hard drive or thumb drive
- bug spray
Do you have anything you would add to this list?
Where are you planning on going this summer?